Sunday, July 11, 2010

stone



Perched atop a hill
With all my unmovable will
I stood
Surveying all

I saw them
Lovers
Engulfed in throes of passion
Defined their love
Declared it on my bosom
For all the world to see
I didn’t rejoice
‘Cause I am stone...


I saw them
Lovers
Parting ways
Scratched
Leaving all but the impression of love they engraved
I wasn’t sad
As I am stone...


I saw them
Priests
Passionate priests
Mining
Cutting
Shaping
Sculpting
Inducting me in their revered halls
I wasn’t proud
As I am still a stone...


I saw him
The scourge
Cruel one
Killing
Plundering
Raping
Removed from my majestic pedestal
I wasn’t angry
I still am a stone...


I saw them
People
Frenzied mob
Shouting
Angry over the loss of their deity
Used me to inflict pain on that infant
I didn’t pity over him
It won’t befit me
Cause I am a stone...


Now lying on the ground
I see you
Man
Unaware
Unassuming
Unmoved
By the atrocities around him
Unfeeling
In his cocoon of materialistic comfort
Just like insects
I think
And I am suddenly feeling a multitude of emotions
Anger ,fear ,sadness
It’s not as if I am no longer a stone
But because You are slowly turning into one

3 comments:

Mohini Puranik said...

Unbelievable post......so deep so deep, I am thinking again and again...

PRIYANKA DEY said...

Very nicely put..

Just one small correction..in the third verse..the "a" is missing before Stone..


Love the different sets of imagery..
Keep it up!

Unknown said...

So well crafted and thoughtful poem!Bravo!
-PORTIA

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 South Africa License.