Sunday, September 4, 2011

Apartment 2 Room #105


I shall always remember that kiss. Oh! What a moment that was. It was raining and there was sweet fragrance all around and someone was playing a violin as if to serenade us. As IF. It was in a theatre, old and ramshackle. But the ambience didn’t make it less magical for us. We were young, and we were spellbound. Me, more so. I realized that she will be the first and the last girl I shall ever give this kind of kiss. And she is.

So I know that you have been running around taking a measure of the residents of this building. Well good for you! But I don’t understand what you are looking for, what you hope to find? I mean you don’t see journalist-You are a journalist aren’t you? So I was saying that you don’t see journalists running around talking to senile old men, even if they have some juicy tidbits to share.  You know I don’t think that anyone in this building knows my name. They know me by moniker – the wifeless guy. The guy whose wife left him, left him for another man.

If you ask me they have a gist of that sorry affair.  These are not my words. I never felt sorry for myself, If you ask me that thing was a reprieve.  You can’t keep on looking at the face of person you love and see that she is unhappy with you.  No you better let her go. And let her go, I did. 

You know our eye see about three hundred frames per second. Of this the brain is capable of drawing information from only two hundred. The rest of its ability goes in supervising our movements. This is the reason you stop, like a deer  caught in headlights, when there is a sudden movement somewhere near you. Because then the body thinks that it’s necessary to analyze every bit of information relayed by your eyes.  And this indecision is often the end of you.  A predator won’t give you the time to stop and look around for a threat. He will pounce upon you during the moment of your weakness.

I decided that I won’t be weak. I won’t let that indecision be the end of me. So, I decided to leave her.  Yes! I left her.I moved out. Surprised? Why won’t you be? People don’t call her husband less, do they? The only thing that earned me that moniker was my decision to never marry again. How could I? I am still in love with her. I was in love with her and always will be. Leaving her was the most difficult thing that I did but I am happy now that she is happy. I became a villain, a monster so that she could live her life.

I have lived 55 summers and shall live many more.  I run, I work, I eat and I sleep, I have friends, I travel a lot, I earn, and I spend. I do crave for companionship, but then I always remember that kiss. In that old and ramshackle theatre.
Adios.

PS:this is the second in the apartment 2 series. Now you can be sure that the first one was not an autobiographical account. 

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 South Africa License.